In 1989, MASH Trust was founded to supply the needs of and render assistance to sick, aged, infirm, disabled, destitute, poor, indigent, needy or helpless persons by providing low cost sheltered accommodation. It would also foster, promote, facilitate and encourage well-being, care and support.
MASH started with just two staff based in Palmerston North, and grew steadily over more than 30 years to the organisation it is today, providing 24/7 support and services to approximately 1,700 people and employing nearly 550 staff.
MASH has been successful in developing and delivering a professional and quality, person-centred service to the people we support.
We have staff that are dedicated and passionate about supporting people. Many staff go far beyond the requirements of their jobs living up to our mission statement: ‘Working Together to Achieve Great Lives.
The people we support give back to the staff the encouragement and passion that comes with obvious progress and enjoyment of life.
MASH has been an innovator in many areas;
- 2005 saw the establishment of our Child, Youth CrisisRespite Care service;
- We have become a leader in Mental Health and Addiction Services;
- Healthy Lifestyles programme for people in the community;
- LUCK drop-in centre has gone from strength to strength;
- The Enhanced Packages of Care (supporting people with disabilities to live in their own homes) has grown;
- MASH was the first Non-Government Organisation (NGO) to gain the Certificate of Accreditation;
- In 2021 MASH was awarded a three-year accreditation from the Ministry of Health;
- Providing Back Office Support Services to other like organisations.
- MASH was requested to assist two organisations where statutory managers had been put in place by the Ministry of Health, resulting in ongoing management by the MASH Team;
- Requested to deliver specialised services in conjunction with DHBs, for high and complex cases.
- Partnership with Whaioro Trust;
- Throughout the years MASH has been awarded many Community, Primary Health and International Awards.